Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
1=(first unnamed parameter)
- The binyan of the verb. Can be one of the following:
pafor pa'ál construction
hitpu'alfor hitpu'ál (rare enough that the template makes you spell it out)
- The headword with vowels, for display purposes. Use
dwvif the spelling with vowels differs from the spelling without vowels for displaying both spellings.
- A transliteration of the headword into the Latin alphabet, as described at Wiktionary:About Hebrew.
sortparameter is for sorting in the categories, so that not all (e.g.) nif'ál verbs are listed under נ (“Nun”). Use it if the page title is different from the string comprising the letters of the root of the verb. Its value should be that string. For example:
- The parameters
לare to be specified when a letter of the verb's root is weak; for example, if the first letter of the root of a verb is נ, specify
- Respectively, the Biblical Hebrew pausal form (without vowels), the same form with vowels, and the transliteration of the same. If the form matches the pagetitle except for vowelization,
pausalneed not be specified. The default, if these are not specified, is that no pausal form appears in the entry.
- The following forms of the verb can be specified when they are not obvious:
- The infinitive of the verb
- The (masculine singular) present tense of the verb (a.k.a. the active participle)
- The (3rd-person masculine singular) future tense of the verb (a.k.a. the imperfect or the prefix conjugation)
- The (masculine singular) imperative of the verb (the traditional imperative, not the "new" imperative)
- The following forms of the verb should be specified whenever they exist:
- The (masculine singular) passive participle of the verb (only if different from the present tense of the passive counterpart, thus, most useful for pa'al verbs)
- (The lemma form of) the passive counterpart of the verb (usually the nif'al for a pa'al verb, the pu'al for a pi'el verb, and the huf'al for a hif'il verb)
- (The lemma form of) the active counterpart of the verb (usually the pa'al for a nif'al verb, the pi'el for a pu'al verb, and the hif'il for a huf'al verb)