User talk:Aulis Eskola
I see that some time ago you edited pages for Finnish place names, adding the translations of "in XXX", where XXX is the place name.
This information is useful but is in the wrong place and is incorrectly formatted. It belongs in the translation section at should look like the following (using Tampere as an example):
- Finnish: Tampere
- in Tampere - Tampereella
Please could you change these if you can. — Paul G 14:53, 10 April 2006 (UTC)
- One funny thing about these place names: should we create this kind of entries not at all with names like Finnish Helsinki/English Helsinki/French Helsinki?! Should we only have one entry without language in case of proper nouns? Or only one with "original" language - in some cases it is difficult to deside what language is original?
- We need this kind of articles about Finnish places because names have different formats in languages (odd thing but it is used) and how to say "in place xxx" is irregular in Finnish. Also Swedish in official language in Finland and many places have different names both in Finnish and in Swedish. --Aulis Eskola 15:17, 12 April 2006 (UTC)
- I suggest the following:
- For placenames that are the same in many languages, yes, we should have:
- ...definition here...
- etc. In other words, we need an entry for every language in which "Helsinki" is a word, even though, in most cases, these all mean the same thing. This is because a user might be reading (say) a Finnish text and want to know what "Helsinki" means (not knowing that is it the capital of Finland). They would expect to find a Finnish entry for it, even if they are an English user.
- For information about how to say, for example, "in Tampere" (etc) in Finnish, create a Finnish page for "Tampereella", with an English translation ("in Tampere"), and add information to the English page for "Tampere" as I have described above. — Paul G 09:12, 4 May 2006 (UTC)
I have made you an administrator. Enjoy your new privileges. Congratulations and welcome aboard! — Paul G 09:12, 4 May 2006 (UTC)
Your account will be renamed
23:37, 17 March 2015 (UTC)