Once you've decided that a change is the best way forward:
- Check Special:Listusers to see whether your desired name is not already taken. While it is possible to hijack existing user accounts without their permission, this is undesirable and will require a special reason.
- Click add your request and explain clearly why you want to make the change, you must sign your request from your old account.
- Wait patiently for one of our bureaucrats to deal with your request.
Your old account will not exist anymore. All edits and other user data (including preferences and watchlist) from your old account will be reattributed to your new account. You can log in with your old password. A log of these changes is kept at Special:Log/renameuser and the requests are archived here.
- You should your old User: and User_talk: pages to your new user name; don't just copy the content.
- If you wish you can recreate your old account and request that an administrator block it to prevent other users from impersonating you.
I would prefer that my username not be shown as my full name for privacy reasons. That being said can I please change it to esfeld89?
I'd like to use EyjentJim as username instead of Eyjentjim. Please change it to EyjentJim for emphasis.
- Done. —Stephen (Talk) 16:58, 1 March 2017 (UTC)
Would like to change username due to blocked username.
- The username User:Artistpg does not exist, so it cannot be changed. I see that you made this request under the name User:ArtP563, which is indefinitely blocked on en.wikipedia and it is not permissible to do a username change on that blocked name. You were advised to create a different name. You only have two or three edits, so there is no reason for you to request a name change. Simply log out of your current blocked account, then create a brand new account under a different name, such as User:M@LVs23. —Stephen (Talk) 14:52, 2 March 2017 (UTC)