Wiktionary:Project - Minimize uncategorized pages
|This page is no longer active. It is being kept for historical interest.|
|No discussion is needed to revive this page; simply remove the |
The goal of this project is to get all pages categorized, i.e. minimize the size of Special:Uncategorizedpages.
To categorize pages one uses Template:infl or other language specific templates. For those see Wiktionary:Inflection templates. They will categorize by language and part of speech automatically. Besides that one may manually add [[Category:XXX]] lines to categorize by topics.
Because this is a large task, and it took contributors pretty long to (semi-)manually finish just those that were capitalized or starting with the letter 'a', there is still 'c' to 'z' to do, and we need your help.
Lists of uncategorized pages
To make this more efficient i wanted to get those thousands of uncategorized words sorted by language and part of speech first. For that i wrote a local script that fetches them, parses the headings, and puts them into a local MySQL database. From that i can then easily sort them and create lists of uncategorized pages by language, and by POS. I will insert those lists below, so you can pick one category that you are familiar with, and efficiently categorize them by using copy / paste of the right template line. If you have finished categorizing a group of pages, please strike or delete them from this page. You can also put your name next to a group of pages to volunteer watching over it also if new pages appear.
Since there is a 5000 limit on Special:Uncategorizedpages i could not get all pages right away. I will start out with a few lists, and add more later, step by step.
Thanks for your help! Mutante 17:50, 5 April 2008 (UTC)
WE ARE DONE!! YAY!
0 pages left to categorize
(*) I know because by begging on IRC #mediawiki-toolserver i got a raw list of ALL uncategorized pages. I will use that as a basis for my local db and keep counting down now. Very helpful, thanks to "SQLDb" who provided the file. Mutante 08:59, 6 May 2008 (UTC)
- 18,839 - as of 06 May 2008
- 12,275 - as of 20 May 2008
- 9,986 - as of 01 June 2008, all English verbs done
- 6,564 - as of 28 June 2008, letters A - L completely done
- 4,820 - as of 04 July. We have now reached the letter Z and you can see the non-latin characters in  and the complete up-to-date list can be seen on the normal Special page.
- 2,927 - as of 29 July
- 1,373 - as of 16 Aug
- 906 - as of 28 Aug
- 756 - as of 04 Sep
- 499 - as of 07 Sep All the twelve-XXX pages have been deleted.
- 425 - as of 10 Sep
- 309 - as of 13 Sep
- 0 - as of 15 Sep
- 24 and 0 again - as of 16 Sep
Now you can go on to uncategorized templates if you like. ;)
- Note: I've started dealing with templates beginning with "L" or "l", since the majority of them are Latin templates that have been (or will be) deprecated. --EncycloPetey 20:17, 16 September 2008 (UTC)