Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Eye dialect spelling of daresay.
- 1884, F. Anstey, The Giant's Robe:
- I've nothing partickler against him--he's steady enough, I dessay.
- 1896, H. G. Wells, The Purple Pileus:
- "I dessay they're sent for some wise purpose," said Mr. Coombes.
- 1906, George Gissing, The House of Cobwebs and Other Stories:
- Emma resumed an air of prudery, 'Before very long, I dessay.'
- 1909, W.W. Jacobs, Peter's Pence:
- "Not exactly wot you could call nasty," ses Mr. Goodman, "though I dessay it would seem so to you.