Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈfɹəʊz/
Audio (UK) (file)
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈfɹoʊz/
- Rhymes: -əʊz
- simple past tense of freeze
- (now colloquial, nonstandard) past participle of freeze
- 1699, The Works of the Honourable Robert Boyle, Eſq, […] , page 176:
- I have froze a whole flask full of Water, by gradually pouring it into a Pan; which confirms what Olearius ſays of making huge heaps of Ice to preſerve Bodies.
- 1891, William Clark Russell, Round the Galley Fire, page 131:
- Had the water been fresh our clothes would have froze into coverings of ice.
- 1996 August 1, George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire; 1), HarperCollins, →ISBN, →OCLC, page 16:
- He saw it clear enough, now that the lordling had pointed it out. “They couldn't have froze. Not if the Wall was weeping. It wasn't cold enough."