Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (nonstandard) superlative form of : most honest
1682, Aphra Behn, “The False Count; or, A New Way to Play an Old Game”, in The Works of Aphra Behn, Vol. III:
- To kill the honestest Man in Spain, if I be well paid.
- 1749, Henry Fielding, The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling
- Our youth, now, emboldened with his success, resolved to push the matter farther, and ventured even to beg her recommendation of him to her father's service; protesting that he thought him one of the honestest fellows in the country, and extremely well qualified for the place of a gamekeeper, which luckily then happened to be vacant.
1840, Thomas Carlyle, Heroes and Hero Worship:
- I have read diligently what books and documents about them I could come at;--with the honestest wish to admire, to love and worship them like Heroes; but I am sorry to say, if the real truth must be told, with very indifferent success!