Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (biblical) The village where Jesus stayed before going to Jerusalem and being crucified.
- (biblical) The village where Lazarus, Mary and Martha lived (Bible, John 11 v. 1)
- (biblical) Mary of Bethany, sometimes identified as Mary Magdalene.
- A female given name, transferred use of the biblical place name.
- 1611, King James Version of the Bible (Authorized Version), John 11:1:
- Now a certain man was sick, named Lazarus, of Bethany, the town of Mary and her sister Martha.