Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- A children’s fable about a hen who, in the classical version, believes the sky is falling after an acorn hits her head, journeys to inform the King, and is finally eaten by Foxy Loxy. Also known by other names including The Sky is Falling.
- The main character in this story, a hysterical hen, alternatively named Chicken Licken under a different title.
- By extension, one who panics at the slightest provocation.
- 1982, Donald A. Marchand and Forest W. Horton, Information Management in Public Administration, Info Resources Press, ISBN 0878150382, page 118
- With so many “Chicken Littles” running around claiming the sky is about to fall, the men at the top normally cannot do much until “Henney Penney” [sic.] and “Foxy Loxy” have also started screaming for help, or there is a convergence of alarm signals from a number of unrelated sources within the organization.