Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Originally Vulgar Era. The English phrase "common Era" appears at least as early as 1708, and by 1715 is used synonymously with "Christian Era" and "Vulgar Era".
- the method of numbering years whereby the current internationally recognized year is 2014 on the Gregorian calendar; secular equivalent of anno Domini and the Christian Era.
1708 January, The History of the Works of the Learned, volume 10, London: Printed for H. Rhodes, page 513:
- The second Book is divided into eight Chapters, treats of the origin of the Greek Characters, and changes that happen'd in them, to the fourth Century of the common Era.
1715, David Gregory; John Nicholson, John Morphew, The Elements of Astronomy, Physical and Geometrical, volume v. 1, Astronomy, London: printed for J. Nicholson, and sold by J. Morphew, page 252:
- Some say the World was created 3950 Years before the common Æra of Christ
1835, Alexander Campbell, Living Oracles:
- The vulgar Era, or Anno Domini; the fourth year of Jesus Christ, the first of which was but eight days." In its article on General Chronology, the 1908 Catholic Encyclopedia stated that "Foremost among these (dating eras) is that which is now adopted by all civilized peoples and known as the Christian, Vulgar or Common Era, in the twentieth century of which we are now living.
1770, William Hooper; Bielfeld, Jacob Friedrich, The Elements of Universal Eurdition (v. 2), London: G. Scott, printer, for J Robson, bookseller in New-Bond Street, and B. Law in Ave-Mary Lane, page p 105:
- 1796 years before the common era, and 1020 before the first Olympiad.
secular equivalent of anno Domini and the Christian Era
- Common Era on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- “Common Era” in The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition, Houghton Mifflin Company, 2000.
- “Common Era” in Dictionary.com Unabridged, v1.0.1, Lexico Publishing Group, 2006.
- "Common Era" in WordNet 2.0, Princeton University, 2003.
- "General Chronology in the Catholic Encyclopedia, Robert Appleton Company, 1908.