Via some other European language, ultimately from Persian ایران (īrān), from Middle Persian 𐭠𐭩𐭥𐭠𐭭 (ērān), from Proto-Iranian *aryānām (“of the Aryans”), genitive plural of *arya- (as in Old Persian 𐎠𐎼𐎡𐎹 (ariya-), Avestan 𐬀𐬌𐬭𐬌𐬌𐬀 (airiia-), Ossetic ир (ir, “Ossetian”)). Compare Parthian 𐭀𐭓𐭉𐭀𐭍 (aryān, “Iran”). The 𐭠𐭩𐭥𐭠𐭭 (ērān) came to refer to the lands in which Iranians lived during the late 3rd to early 4th centuries. Prior to that time it was an ethnic, not geographic, term used for the Iranian peoples.
Irāna f (4th declension)
- Iran (country in the Middle East in Asia, with Tehran as its capital)
- Irānas karogs — the flag of Iran
- Irānas valdība — the government of Iran
- Irānas-Irākas karš — the Iran-Iraq war
- Irānai ir diplomātiskas attiecības teju vai ar visām Apvienotās Nācijas Organizācijas valstīm — Iran has diplomatic relations with almost all countries of the United Nations Organization