Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- A short form of the male given name Jesse.
- A short form of the female given name Jessica.
- A short form of the female given name Jessamy.
1967, Barbara Sleigh, Jessamy, edition 1993, Sevenoaks, Kent: Bloomsbury, ISBN 0 340 19547 9, page 58:
- ‘Now then Kit,’ said Mr Parkinson, ‘look sharp! Help Jess up. Where has she got to?’ ‘Here I am!’ said Jessamy breathlessly as “helped” rather to vigorously from behind by Kit, she arrived on her knees on the floor of the dog cart.
1967, Barbara Sleigh, Jessamy, edition 1993, Sevenoaks, Kent: Bloomsbury, ISBN 0 340 19547 9, page 127:
- ‘It’s almost as if we’ve gone silly with happiness,’ said Marcus two days later. ‘Everyone in the house going round grinning like a lot of Cheshire Cats! The family I mean.’ ‘And Jess,’ said Kitto quickly. ‘Oh well, Jess is as good as family,’ said Fanny comfortably. Jessamy said nothing, but she looked up quickly and her smile would have rivalled any Cheshire Cat.