Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- An American Indian, especially in the United States.
- (dated) A resident of the United States who is not an immigrant.
- Native American is replacing American Indian, although the latter is not usually considered offensive. However, confusion or offence can be avoided by referring to Indians from Canada as First Nations people, Native Canadians, or Aboriginal peoples in Canada.
- The second definition was used predominantly by anti-Catholic and anti-immigrant political factions in the 1850s, they called themselves the "Native American Party" before settling on the names "American" and "Know-Nothing"
- See also Wikisaurus:Native American
- Of the American Indians.