Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
American Sign Language
Same handshape as the other formal ASL pronouns and same location and orientation as the other non-first person pronouns.
- This one-handed ASL sign is produced as follows:
- Posture the dominant hand in with the finger tips pointing toward the sternum of the referent, dominant palm facing up.
- Move the hand down to the following posture.
- Posture the dominant hand in with the finger tips pointing toward the trunk of the referent, dominant palm facing up.
- Hold the hand still briefly.
- This sign may be used to introduce an honored or esteemed guest. The guest typically then refers to him or herself with the first-person equivalent OpenB@Sternum-FingerBack OpenB@Trunk-FingerBack (“PRO-FORMAL-1”).