Hello, welcome to Wiktionary, and thank you for your contribution so far. Here are a few good links for newcomers:
- How to edit a page is a concise list of technical guidelines to the wiki format we use here: how to, for example, make text boldfaced or create hyperlinks. Feel free to practice in the sandbox. If you would like a slower introduction we have a short tutorial.
- Entry layout explained (ELE) is a detailed policy documenting how Wiktionary pages should be formatted. All entries should conform to this standard, the easiest way to do this is to copy exactly an existing page for a similar word.
- Our Criteria for inclusion (CFI) define exactly which words Wiktionary is interested in including. There is also a list of things that Wiktionary is not for a higher level overview.
- The FAQ aims to answer most of your remaining questions, and there are several help pages that you can browse for more information.
- We have discussion rooms in which you can ask any question about Wiktionary or its entries, a glossary of our technical jargon, and some hints for dealing with the more common communication issues.
I hope you enjoy editing here and being a Wiktionarian! If you have any questions, bring them to the Wiktionary:Information desk, or ask me on my talk page. If you do so, please sign your posts with four tildes: ~~~~ which automatically produces your username and the current date and time.
- Hey, just 2 friendly bits of advice regarding translations:
- Spanish is listed as Spanish in Wiktionary, not Español.
- If you go to the page WT:PREFS you can enable a nifty little feature : "Add input boxes to pages to assist with adding translations". Maybe you will find some other things to your liking there too. But yeah, if you enable that function there will be input boxes at the bottom of every trans table that allow you to input a translation w/o typing directly into the editbox. As an added advantage, this method requires you to specify language via (ISO) code so you just need to type in the code and it will use the language name we use. Please also be aware of the option to reveal more input (check)boxes for it which are necessary for some languages, like gender for example.
- So with that in mind, keep up the good work, every little bit helps I guess. User: PalkiaX50 talk to meh 13:04, 27 April 2013 (UTC)