From Afrikaans aardvarken (obsolete), erdvark, from Afrikaans aarde (“earth”), (from Dutch, from Middle Dutch aerde) + Afrikaans vark (“pig”), (from Middle Dutch varken (“pig”)).Early European colonists in South Africa noticed that the animal was similar to a pig, while "aarde" hints at the animal's habit of burrowing.
aardvark (plural aardvarks)
- The nocturnal, insectivorous, burrowing, mammal Orycteropus afer, of the order Tubulidentata, somewhat resembling a pig, common in some parts of sub-Saharan Africa. [First attested in the late 18th c.]
- The aardvark burrows in the ground and feeds mostly on termites, which it catches with its long, slimy tongue.
- (slang, particularly in the southeast US) A silly or credulous person who is prone to mistakes or blunders.
- I walked into the wrong bathroom like a total aardvark.
aardvark (plural aardvarke)
- Obsolete form of erdvark.
aardvark m (plural aardvarks)
- aardvark (mammal)