Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Lacking or being without air.
- Lacking air circulation.
1918, W. B. Maxwell, chapter 7, The Mirror and the Lamp:
- […] St. Bede's at this period of its history was perhaps the poorest and most miserable parish in the East End of London. Close-packed, crushed by the buttressed height of the railway viaduct, rendered airless by huge walls of factories, it at once banished lively interest from a stranger's mind and left only a dull oppression of the spirit.
- With air that is stale.
- (medicine) Suffering from asphyxia.
- (figuratively) Stifling; dead; lacking vitality or excitement.
2012 November 8, Scott Tobias, “Memento’s puzzle structure hides big twists and bigger profundities”, The AV Club:
- The worst that can—and has—been said about Memento is that it’s an airless gimmick, visually undistinguished, and not even all that sophisticated when the puzzle pieces are finally put together.