- Alkanna tinctoria, a plant whose root is used as a dye.
- The dyeing matter extracted from the plant, giving a deep red colour.
- A boraginaceous herb (Alkanna tinctoria) yielding a dye; orchanet.
- The similar plant Anchusa officinalis; bugloss.
- The American puccoon.
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
- Second-person singular potential present form of alkaa.