Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- IPA: /aˈnɑːθɹəs/
anarthrous (not comparable)
- (linguistics) Not having an article (especially of Greek nouns).
- In Dan Brown's opening sentence, "Renowned curator Jacques Saunière staggered through the vaulted archway of the museum's Grand Gallery", the first noun phrase is anarthrous.
- (linguistics) Not having a determiner.
- Nouns indicating status often appear in anarthous noun phrases, ie, as bare nouns.
- (biology, of a limb) Not having joints.