Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Intelligence exhibited by an artificial (non-natural, man-made) entity.
- (artificial intelligence) The branch of computer science dealing with the reproduction or mimicking of human-level intelligence, self-awareness, knowledge, conscience, thought in computer programs.
1988, Marvin Minsky, The Society of Mind:
- Research in the modern science of Artificial Intelligence started only in the 1950's, stimulated by the invention of modern computers. This inspired a flood of new ideas about how machines could do what only minds had done previously.
- The essential quality of a machine which thinks in a manner similar to or on the same general level as a real human being.
- This comupter possesses artificial intelligence.
- (computing) a computer system or software package which is artificially intelligent
2013 March 19, “Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2 review – scope for improvement”, The Metro (UK):
- The original Sniper: Ghost Warrior was a surprise hit when it was released in 2010. A surprise because it seemed an unequivocally awful game, with half broken graphics and artificial intelligence, a tediously linear story campaign, and an undernourished multiplayer mode.
- (chiefly science fiction) An intelligent, self-aware computer or computer program.
1973, Gardner Dozois, Chains of the Sea, ISBN 9780840763143, Chains of the Sea, page 83:
- While the humans scurried in confusion, the Artificial Intelligence (AI) created by MIT/Bell Labs linked itself into the network of high-speed, twentieth generation computers placed at its disposal by a Red Alert Priority, evaluated data thoughtfully for a minute and a half and then proceeded to get in touch with its opposite number in the Russian Republics.
- 2000, Sheldon Pacotti (writer) & Warren Spector (director/producer), Deus Ex:
- What Daedadus really is, is the world's first successful wholly autonomous AI. Whatever mysterious organization managed to create the first true artificial intelligence succeeded so well that their creation managed to convince them that they'd failed... and then escaped.
2001 January 15, Walter Jon Williams (screenwriter), “All Great Neptune's Ocean”, Andromeda season 1 episode 10:
- Dylan Hunt: "This is Captain Dylan Hunt of the High Guard. Investigation has shown that an Artificial Intelligence was involved in the tragic death of your President. In such a case, Commonwealth law demands that the AI's personality be completely erased."
2009, Josh Weisberg, “It Stands to Reason: Skynet and Self-preservation”, in Terminator and Philosophy: I'll Be Back, Therefore I Am, ISBN 9780470447987:
- Also remember that Skynet's an artificial intelligence. Intelligence, for our purpose, means being able to use reason in order to achieve your goals.
- (self-aware computer): see Wikisaurus:sentient
intelligence exhibited by an artificial entity
branch of computer science
quality of a machine
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked: "translations to be checked"
- (self-aware computer): Brave New Words: The Oxford Dictionary of Science Fiction, Oxford University Press, 2007, p. 10
- (self-aware computer): artificial intelligence n. at the OED Science Fiction Citations Project