Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: break through
breakthrough (not comparable)
- Characterized by major progress or overcoming some obstacle.
- a breakthrough technological advance
characterized by major progress
breakthrough (plural breakthroughs)
- (military) An advance through and past enemy lines.
- Any major progress; such as a great innovation or discovery that overcomes a significant obstacle.
- (sports) The penetration of the opposition defence
2011 September 29, Jon Smith, “Tottenham 3 - 1 Shamrock Rovers”, BBC Sport:
- But with the lively Dos Santos pulling the strings behind strikers Pavlyuchenko and Defoe, Spurs controlled the first half without finding the breakthrough their dominance deserved.
(sports) penetration of the opposition defence