Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- To serve as or perform the duties of a butler.
- Because of its origins in back-formation, buttle is considered nonstandard and its uses may often be humorous in nature.
- 1909: J. T. Grein, Sunday Times
- ...even the stoic and impeccable maid of Miss Ethelwyn Arthur-Jones, who 'buttled' as well as the most time-honoured butler.
- 1989: Benjamin Quarles, The Negro in the Civil War
- Houses where Negroes buttled or cooked were marked for a visit.
- 2000: Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
- At times like this, he buttled when Spriggan the butler was not on duty, or if an extra hand was needed, he footed as well.