Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (intransitive) To extend or expand, as from internal pressure; to swell
1835, William Gilmore Simms, The Partisan, Harper, Chapter XIV, page 180:
- Then came the arrowy flight and form of the hurricane itself—its actual bulk—its imbodied power, pressing along through the forest in a gyratory progress, not fifty yards wide, never distending in width, yet capriciously winding from right to left and left to right.
- (transitive, reflexive, archaic) To extend; to stretch out; to spread out.
- 1662 Thomas Salusbury, Galileo's Dialogue Concerning the Two Chief World Systems (Dialogue 2):
- But say, what mean those coloured streaks in heaven / Distended as the brow of God appeased?
- (transitive) To cause to swell.
- (biology) To cause gravidity.
To extend or expand
- Oxford English Dictionary, Second Edition, 1989