Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (dated, fandom slang) The pleasant feeling derived from seeing one's name in print.
1948 February, Rick Sneary, “[letter column]”, Thrilling Wonder Stories, volume 31, number 3, page 98:
- Well after the pile of ego-boo I got in the Oct. issue I just couldn't let it slip by without telling you what I think of this much heralded issue.
1976 November, Lee Hoffman, “Editorial”, Science-Fiction Five-Yearly, number 6, page 4:
- So this lustrum, yhos sits upon a bed of laurels, basking in the glow of past achievement and anticipating fresh shipments of egoboo, while Terry Hughes does the donkey drudgery of producing this issue.
- For more examples of usage of this term, see the citations page.
- Brave New Words: The Oxford Dictionary of Science Fiction, Oxford University Press, 2007, p. 49
- egoboo n. at the OED Science Fiction Citations Project