Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Coined by Private Eye magazine.
- (UK, euphemistic) Cannabis, a joint of cannabis.
1989, Punch, volume 296, number 7721-7733, page 207:
- But some busybody got a whiff of an exotic cheroot and the place was closed down.
1994, Christopher Hitchens, “Warhol in One Dimension”, in For the Sake of Argument: Essays and Minority Reports, ISBN 0860916286, page 283:
- No sweet scent of the exotic cheroot taints the air, there are scarcely even any smokers, and no one seems to be employing the men's room either to take on fuel or to make a brisk exchange of spermatozoa.
1994, Taki, Nothing to Declare, ISBN 0871134845, page 188:
- 'This friend of yours must have been smoking exotic cheroots while writing to you,' reads the note and I laugh out loud, especially as the letter comes from Chuck Pfeifer.
- Used other than as an idiom: see exotic, cheroot.