Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Alternative forms 
- geneology (common misspelling)
From Old French genealogie (Modern French généalogie), from Late Latin genealogia, from Ancient Greek γενεαλογία (genealogia), from γενεά (genea, “generation, descent”) and -λογία (-logia, “study of”)
- (countable) The descent of a person, family, or group from an ancestor or ancestors; lineage or pedigree.
- (countable) A record or table of such descent; a family tree.
- (uncountable) The study, and formal recording of such descents.
Related terms 
the descent of a person, family, or group from an ancestor or ancestors
a record or table of such descent
study and recording of descents
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.