Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- As much as a gourd will carry
1921, Augusta Jane Evans Wilson, Macaria:
- Mother, make Harry bring me a gourdful fresh from the spring.
1909, William Dean Howells, Boy Life:
- She had been milked only a few hours before, and so he got only a gourdful from her.
1900, Mary E. Wilkins Freeman, Pembroke:
- Cephas got a gourdful of water from the pail in the sink, and carried it carefully over to the table.
1866, Various, The Atlantic Monthly, Volume 18, No. 105, July 1866:
- I had a grim sense of amusement on finding that the old woman was not deaf, for she went out, and presently came back with a gourdful, which I eagerly drank.