Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
From French grognard (“old soldier”)
grognard (plural grognards)
- An old soldier.
- (games, slang) Someone who enjoys playing board wargames, particularly the counter-heavy strategy board wargames from the 1970s and 1980s.
- (games, slang) Someone who enjoys playing previous editions of roleplaying games when new editions of the game are available.
- “James is such a grognard, he only plays the original edition of Dungeons and Dragons.”
- (computer games, slang) Inside the computer game development industry, a game fan who will buy every game released in a certain genre of computer game (RTS, or computer role-playing game, etc.).
grognard m (plural grognards)
- an old veteran soldier; specifically of the grenadiers of the Imperial Guard (Grenadiers à Pied de la Garde Impériale); an old complaining soldier