hart + 's + horn.
hartshorn (plural hartshorns)
- The antler of a hart, once used as a source of ammonia.
- (dated) An aqueous solution of ammonia; smelling salts.
the antler of a hart
- Russian: олений (olenij) рог (rog) (olénij rog) m
hartshorn (third-person singular simple present hartshorns, present participle hartshorning, simple past and past participle hartshorned)
- (transitive) To revive with hartshorn smelling salts.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Charles Dickens to this entry?)