Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Inquisition
Audio (US) (file)
inquisition (plural inquisitions)
- an investigation or inquiry into the truth of some matter
- as I could learn through earnest inquisition
- Let not search and inquisition quail / To bring again these foolish runaways.
- an inquest
- a questioning
- The finding of a jury, especially such a finding under a writ of inquiry.
- The justices in eyre had it formerly in charge to make inquisition concerning them by a jury of the county.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Bouvier to this entry?)
- (obsolete) To make inquisition concerning; to inquire into.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Milton to this entry?)
inquisition f (plural inquisitions)