Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Audio (UK) (file)
- (slang) To fancy.
- Do you just "like" her or do you "like like" her?
2008, Meg Cabot, How to Be Popular, page 131:
- i seriously think he likes me. Like, LIKE likes me. Did you see how he let me draw all over his shoes today during the convocation? Oh my God. What a mess. Because of course there was NO WAY Jason LIKE liked Becca.
2009, Laura Fitzgerald, One True Theory of Love:
- “I mean, he like likes her. Like, he likes her.” […] / “That's different than like-liking her. Are you saying you have other feelings for her?” Henry sighed.
2010, Pseudonymous Bosch, This Isn't What It Looks Like:
- “Yeah, you know, like liked,” said Cass, automatically raising her eyebrows to make the point, even though the Jester couldn't see them. / […] / “Like liked? What does that mean—that I like her twice? But I don't like her even once—I loathe her thrice!” protested the Jester.
- Used by children and teenagers to distinguish between liking someone as a friend and fancying them; it's far less blunt than simply saying "fancy".
- Generally used as part of a question (or in the answer to the question), and usually in comparison to "like".