mount + -ant
mountant (comparative more mountant, superlative most mountant)
- (archaic) Rising
mountant (plural mountants)
- (microscopy) The medium used for mounting a slide
- 2004, Cletus P. Kurzman & Jack W. Fell, “Yeasts”, in Biodiversity of Fungi, ISBN 0125095511, page 335:
- Both mountants can be placed on the same slide, with spores placed in each.
- (photography, dated) The adhesive used to affix a photograph to a mount
- 1911, Bernard Edward Jones, Encyclopedia of Photography, edition 1964 reprint, ISBN 0405049226, page 365:
- The favourite professional mountant was, and to some extent still is, starch paste.