Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Compulsory service in the armed forces; conscription
- I'd ha' such Amazons sent into the National Service; I warrant her she'd rout a Regiment of French Dragoons.
- That it is desirable that either military or naval service for national defence should be made compulsory by law... That a league to be called the National Service League shall be established to promote these objects.
- I don't think Ha talked to me of national service.
- It is proposed to appoint at once a director of National Service, to be in charge of both the military and civil side of universal national service.
- National Service (armed forces) Bill, ‘to make provision for securing and controlling the enlistment of men for services in the armed forces of the Crown’.
- The boys in between 18 and 20 are of course doing National Service.