Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (of the decade) 'nineties
- plural form of
- The decade of the 1890s, 1990s, etc.
1914, Amherst College, “Amherst graduates' quarterly”, volume 4, page 6:
- Our readers — and contributors — are apt to elect a good deal according to years. The seventies and eighties, we may suppose, are concerned for the large educational and cultural interests of their Alma Mater; the nineties are deep in the practical and business activities; the noughties are not naughty, but still young enough to sport a fantastic costume at reunion and let the college wag as it will; the oneties are the really wise as to what the college ought to be, especially on its athletic side, but as contributors modest.
- 1919, Harry Hamilton Johnston, The Gay-Dombeys: A Novel, Macmillan, page 172,
- He and his clever staff of minor blackguards exploited to the full every weakness and caries in the London Society of the 'eighties, 'nineties, and 'oughts.
- The decade of one's life from age 90 through age 99.
the decade of the 1990s