Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
First attested 1548, from Late Latin perspicācitās (“discernment”), from Latin perspicax (“sharp-sighted”), from perspiciō (“look through”), from per- (“through”) + speciō (“look at”). See also perspective.
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˌpɜː.spɪˈkeɪ.ʃəs/
- (US) enPR: pûr'spĭ·kā'shəs, IPA(key): /ˌpɜːɹ.spɪˈkeɪ.ʃəs/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -eɪʃəs
- Hyphenation: per‧spi‧ca‧cious
- (figuratively) Of acute discernment; having keen insight; mentally perceptive.
- (obsolete) Able to physically see clearly; quick-sighted; sharp-sighted.
Terms etymologically related to perspicacious
showing keen insight
Able to physically see clearly
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked