Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
phonograph (plural phonographs)
- Literally, a device that captures sound waves onto an engraved archive; a lathe.
- (UK, historical) A device that records or plays sound from cylinder records.
- (North America) A turntable, especially an early, archaic record player.
- (dated) A character or symbol used to represent a sound, especially one used in phonography.
- (transitive, dated) To record for playback by phonograph.
- (transitive, dated) To transcribe into phonographic symbols.