Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
portage (plural portages)
- An act of carrying, especially the carrying of a boat overland between two waterways.
- The route used for such carrying.
- A charge made for carrying something.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Bishop Fell to this entry?)
- Carrying capacity; tonnage.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Hakluyt to this entry?)
- The wages paid to a sailor when in port, or for a voyage.
- A porthole.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Shakespeare to this entry?)
- (nautical) To carry a boat overland