Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
pragmatist (plural pragmatists)
- One who acts in a practical or straightforward manner; one who is pragmatic; one who values practicality or pragmatism.
- A pragmatist would never plant such a messy tree, but I like its flowers.
- One who acts in response to particular situations rather than upon abstract ideals; one who is willing to ignore their ideals to accomplish goals.
- I'm not a thief, I am a pragmatist. I need this bread to feed my family.
- We cannot trust him not to lie for his own gain, he's an opportunist and a pragmatist.
- One who belongs to the philosophic school of pragmatism; one who holds that the meaning of beliefs are the actions they entail, and that the truth of those beliefs consist in the actions they entail successfully leading a believer to their goals.