Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also précaution
Audio (US) (file)
precaution (plural precautions)
- Previous caution or care; caution previously employed to prevent mischief or secure good; as, his life was saved by precaution.
- A measure taken beforehand to ward off evil or secure good or success; a precautionary act; as, to take precautions against risks of accident.
Derived terms 
See also 
Previous caution or care
A measure taken beforehand to ward off evil or secure good or success
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
- (transitive): To warn or caution beforehand. --Locke.
- (transitive, rare): To take precaution against. --John Dryden.
To warn or caution beforehand