Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Of a calendar, extrapolated to dates prior to its first adoption; of those used to adjust to or from the Julian calendar or Gregorian calendar.
- Of an event, assigned a date that is too early.
- (rhetoric) Anticipating and answering objections before they have been raised; procataleptic.
- (Anticipating and answering objections): anticipatory
- 1989, W. Paul Jones. Theological Worlds Abingdon Press, Nashville, p. 151:
- In World Two, Jesus can be seen as the proleptic event, giving promise of God's vindication of creation in and through history.
a calendar extrapolated to dates prior to its first adoption