Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
quip (plural quips)
- A smart, sarcastic turn or jest; a taunt; a severe retort or comeback; a gibe.
- Quips, and cranks, and wanton wiles.
- He was full of joke and jest, / But all his merry quips are o'er.
- See also Wikisaurus:joke
smart, sarcastic turn or jest
- (intransitive) To make a quip.
2012 June 3, Nathan Rabin, “TV: Review: THE SIMPSONS (CLASSIC): “Mr. Plow” (season 4, episode 9; originally aired 11/19/1992)”:
- In an eerily prescient bit, Kent Brockman laughingly quips that if seventy degree weather in the winter is the Gashouse Effect in action, he doesn’t mind one bit.
- (transitive) To taunt; to treat with quips.
- the more he laughs, and does her closely quip