Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- To reduce to a fine, unmixed, or pure state; to free from impurities; to free from dross or alloy; to separate from extraneous matter; to purify
2013 August 3, “Yesterday’s fuel”, The Economist, volume 408, number 8847:
- The dawn of the oil age was fairly recent. Although the stuff was used to waterproof boats in the Middle East 6,000 years ago, extracting it in earnest began only in 1859 after an oil strike in Pennsylvania. […] It was used to make kerosene, the main fuel for artificial lighting after overfishing led to a shortage of whale blubber. Other liquids produced in the refining process, too unstable or smoky for lamplight, were burned or dumped.
- to refine gold or silver; to refine iron; to refine wine or sugar
- To purify from what is gross, coarse, vulgar, inelegant, low, and the like; to make elegant or excellent; to polish.
- to refine the manners, the language, the style, the taste, the intellect, or the moral feelings
- To become pure; to be cleared of feculent matter.
- To improve in accuracy, delicacy, or excellence.
- To affect nicety or subtlety in thought or language.
to reduce to a fine, unmixed, or pure state; to free from impurities; to free from dross or alloy
to purify from what is gross, coarse, vulgar, inelegant, low, and the like; to make elegant or excellent; to polish
to become pure; to be cleared of feculent matter
to improve in accuracy, delicacy, or excellence
to affect nicety or subtlety in thought or language
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- refine in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- refine in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
- first-person singular present subjunctive of refinar
- third-person singular present subjunctive of refinar
- first-person singular imperative of refinar
- third-person singular imperative of refinar