Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Attended with bloodshed.
- Eager to shed blood; bloodthirsty.
- Passion […] makes us brutal and sanguinary.
- 1877, Samuel Green, The Life of Mahomet: Founder of the Religion of Islamism and of the Empire of the Saracens with Notices of the History of Islamism and of Arabia, p. 126,
- "The defence set up for Mahomet is equally availing for every sanguinary and revengeful tyrant; […] "
- Consisting of, covered with or similar in appearance to blood.
- Not to be confused with sanguine. Sanguine means “optimistic”, while sanguinary means “bloodthirsty, gory”.
accompanied by bloodshed
eager for bloodshed
consisting of or similar to blood
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
sanguinary (plural sanguinaries)