Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Rhymes: -ɑː(r)p
Aphetic form of escarp.
- the steep artificial slope below a fort's parapet
- (geology) a cliff at the edge of a plateau or ridge caused by erosion; the steeper side of an escarpment
- (earth science, geography, transitive) to cut, scrape, erode, or otherwise make into a scarp or escarpment
- to scarp the face of a ditch or a rock
- From scarped cliff and quarried stone. — Tennyson.
- Sweep ruins from the scarped mountain. — Emerson.