shut out (plural shut outs)
- Alternative form of shutout.
shut out (third-person singular simple present shuts out, present participle shutting out, simple past and past participle shut out)
- (sports) To prevent from scoring; to perform a shutout.
- To close a door on someone, or to exclude.
- To hide from sight.
- The blinds shut out the glare of the sun.
1879, Richard Jefferies, chapter 1, The Amateur Poacher:
- It was not far from the house; but the ground sank into a depression there, and the ridge of it behind shut out everything except just the roof of the tallest hayrick.