Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Rhymes: -ɒkɪt
sprocket (plural sprockets)
- A toothed wheel that enmeshes with a chain or other perforated band.
- (usually in the plural) The tooth of such a wheel.
- (architecture) A flared extension at the base of a sloped roof.
- A placeholder name for an unnamed, unspecified, or hypothetical manufactured good or product.
- Suppose we have a widget factory that produces 100 widgets per year, and a sprocket factory that produces 200 sprockets per year.
Although sprockets are sometimes referred to as gears, there is a technical distinction between the two: sprockets interact with chains, whereas gears interact with other gears.
- (placeholder name): widget