Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (UK) IPA: /ˈsteɪʃənəri/, X-SAMPA: /"steIS@n@ri/
- (US) enPR: stāʹshə-nĕr-ĭ, IPA: /ˈsteɪʃənɛri/, X-SAMPA: /"steIS@nEri/
- Homophone: stationery
- Not moving.
- For a few moments, the train remained stationary, before lurching forward along the track.
- incapable of being moved
- (not moving): fixed, immobile, motionless, still, stock-still, unmoving
- (incapable of being moved): immobile, unmoveable
- (unchanging): changeless, constant, immutable, unchanging
- (not moving): in motion, moving, on the move
- (incapable of being moved): mobile, moveable
- (unchanging): changing, mutable, variable
incapable of being moved
stationary (plural stationaries)
- One who, or that which, is stationary, such as a planet when apparently it has neither progressive nor retrograde motion.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Holland to this entry?)
- Common misspelling of stationery.