take the lead
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (idiomatic) To become the leader, to advance into first place.
- At 0-0, United will take the lead if they score the penalty.
- 2010 December 29, Sam Sheringham, “Liverpool 0 - 1 Wolverhampton”, BBC:
- It was an omen of things to come as in the 56th minute the visitors took the lead after a mix-up between Skrtel and Sotirios Kyrgiakos allowed Ebanks-Blake's through-ball to squeeze between them.
- (idiomatic) To assume leadership over a group.