Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
transom (plural transoms)
- A crosspiece over a door; a lintel.
- A horizontal dividing bar in a window.
- A transom window.
- (nautical) Any of several transverse structural members in a ship, especially at the stern; a thwart.
- (nautical) The flat or nearly flat stern of a boat or ship.
- The horizontal beam on a cross or gallows.
- (figuratively, usually attributively) Items that have arrived over the transom.
- We are overwhelmed with transom resumes.
- They only met the deadline by working most of the night and making a transom filing.
- (small hinged window above door): fanlight
crosspiece over a door
horizontal dividing bar in a window
transom window — see transom window
nautical: transverse structural member
items that have arrived over the transom