Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
trowel (plural trowels)
- A mason’s tool, used in spreading and dressing mortar, and breaking bricks to shape them.
- A gardener’s tool, shaped like a scoop, used in taking up plants, stirring soil etc.
- I need to dig a hole for these begonias; would you pass me that trowel?
- A tool used for smoothing a mold.
scoop-like gardening tool
- (transitive) To apply a substance with a trowel.
- He troweled the coarse mix with a twist, leaving a pattern of arcs.